Idaho law requires that an equitable selection process, such as a lottery, be held to determine who will be enrolled if more students apply than there are openings at any grade level. Lottery Enrollment applications are accepted year round. The actually lottery drawing is held in the Spring prior to each school year. Filling out and submitting an application does not guarantee a spot for your child to register for the following school year.
Enrollment will consist of the following: Grade K will have one class of 26 students, Grades 1-3 will have 28 students per class, Grades 4-6 will have 32 students per class, Grades 7-10 will have 33 students per class, and Grade 11-12 will have approximately 40 students per class. Our maximum capacity is 413 students.
If we reach capacity during the application period in any given grade, we are required by state law to conduct a lottery. The lottery is conducted by staff via a third-party computer application that randomly draws names via a tiered structure. All applicant names will be drawn from the lottery to determine registration or placement on the waiting list for the following school year (please note that your child’s placement on the waitlist will vary year to year because of the lottery). Applications received after the open application period will be placed on the waiting list in the order the application was received. Attendance at the lottery is optional. A staff member will contact parents by phone or email regarding lottery status. If you have not received confirmation within 48 hours of the lottery your child has been placed on our wait list. You may send a request by email or call to find your placement on the wait list.
Once on a waiting list, students will remain eligible for placement within the school indefinitely and will not be required to reapply each year thereafter. Students wishing to be removed from the waiting list must make their request directly to Thomas Jefferson Charter School. It is preferred that the request be made in writing. Please note, even though your child will remain on the waiting list indefinitely (year to year), placement on the waiting list will change year to year because their name will be placed back into the lottery for placement on the new year's enrollment and waiting lists.
At the end of each year, parents of enrolled students are required to fill out a letter of intent to return form to ensure a guaranteed spot for the following school year.
TJCS's Process for Enrollment
Intent to register letters must be signed by each student’s parent or guardian and returned to Thomas Jefferson Charter School by the date specified in the letter. If no response is received within 7 days, the available seat will be offered to the next student on the waiting list. In accordance with the TJCS Charter, the lottery has the following preferences (tiers):
- First, to pupils returning to TJCS in the second or any subsequent year of operation. Returning students are automatically enrolled in the appropriate grade and do not need to be selected by a lottery.
- Second, to children of founders and full-time employees provided that this admission preference shall be limited to not more than ten percent (10%) of the capacity of TJCS.
- Third, to siblings of pupils in the primary attendance area already enrolled in TJCS.
- Fourth, to siblings of pupils in Canyon and Owhyee county already enrolled in TJCS
- Fifth to siblings of pupils outside the attendance area that are already enrolled in TJCS
- Sixth to prospective students residing in the primary attendance area (Vallivue School District Boundaries) of TJCS.
- Seventh to prospective students residing in Canyon and Owhyee counties.
- Eighth to prospective students residing outside any listed area above of TJCS.